Thursday, January 10, 2008

MY BABY WAS HUNGRY!!!

OK, So Avery has been so fussy lately! I mean MAD fussy. She wants to nurse EVERY HOUR, ALL DAY, AND NIGHT!! Aside from being really sore, I am exhausted. Last night Hillman came home at 830 pm and I was spent! I was In tears, pumping my milk. "I've had it" I sobbed, I cannot continue to do this. Bring on the formula! H consoled me and encouraged me to continue pumping before we throw in the towel on breast feeding. I had already been pumping a little bit, H feeds her at night at around 10PM so I can get a head start on sleep and she usually sleeps for 3 hours before she wakes up and demands food NOW! Also I work out at 5am so H feeds her then too and when he does this, she sleeps longer. So the next logical thought...even in the midst of hormonal sobs and exhaustion, she must not be getting enough to eat. She is a lazy eater, I know that. She falls asleep at my breast after about five minutes and I usually have to get her up, change her diaper, and get her good and mad to continue nursing and some times that still doesn't work. So she wakes up 20 minutes later SCREAMING and the only thing I can do to console her is nurse her again! SO, I decided to pump, for her next hourly feeding. I had to work quick! So I pumped 4 oz before she started fussing!! I put it in a Dr Browns bottle that I got from a shower, and plugged her up! SHE ATE THE WHOLE THING!!! NO JOKE!!!! I was afraid I fed her too much but do you know...she slept for 5 straight hours!! She was exhausted and hungry. I was amazed so I pumped again, and had a bottle ready for when she woke up. I expected to be woken up in the usual 3 hours but she gave me 5 straight hours of sleep. I woke up at 430 am in a panic! I jumped up out of bed and ran to her crib thinking she was dead ( I know, a little dramatic huh) and she was waking up, not fussing, just cooing and doing cute things. I warmed the bottle and fed her 2.5 oz this time, she was so happy afterwards, she has been so fussy when she is awake I was beginning to take it personally!! I though she didn't like me and wanted a different mama!!! Bless her heart, she was hungry! Ill be pumping from here on out in case you were wondering!!! LOL! -K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! She is precious! I have so enjoyed reading about your nursing experience, because I have been there times two. Hang in there with it, it is so worth it for both of you. I would encourage you to nurse her during the day so that she will not demand a bottle only. I pumped every ounce Landon ate from 3mos-9mos, and then had frozen milk stored for the remainder of the year. It was tiring!
I was determined not to let that happen with LanieAnn and she is a great nurser and loves it.
I promise it gets better when they get a few weeks older and eat more at once before falling asleep.
Hang in there! You're doing great!!!!

Megan said...

She is so beautiful. Good luck with nursting - i promise it does get easier as you both get used to each other - I will have to say those first few months you do feel like all you do is nurse but as the months go on it gets better - I loved it. I say do what is best for you.