Friday, July 11, 2008

Lets talk depression...

If you have been keeping up with my blogs since Avery's arrival, then you may recall the blog I wrote after I brought her home called "the baby boo hoo's" Well, this is a continuation of that blog. Since I have had Avery, I have been SAD. No reason, just sad. I was getting so exhausted covering it up for family, friends, and work. I was trying so hard to get past it! Finally, I came to the realization that I was more than just a little weepy last week when a friend told me she thought I was suffering from post-partum depression. I really resisted the information at first, but she noticed the signs because she also went through it. I thought about it for a while and came to terms with it last week. I had a particularly rough weekend prior, and I was so tired of feeling worthless, empty, and sad. There is no reason for this feeling and I noticed that I wasn't enjoying the things I loved. I called my Dr. and spoked and cried to her nurse as I explained my feelings,  she wanted to see me so I went in. I was very  hesitant to go see  her, I didn't want to feel even worse about myself... but now, I felt much better. I agreed to try to take a low dose of an SSRI (anti-depressant) for a short while. It has been a week now and I already feel so much better. I am not weeping every day, I feel a sense of self-worth again! I am able to enjoy my precious angle more. I felt before that if I went down this route of medication, that I would ultimately have given up and wimped out. I don't feel that way any more. I strongly feel that my decision is the best for not only me but my family as well. Thanks to my friends for encouraging me to get help. Sometimes it takes some one close to you to help you see what's going on right  under your own nose! ~K 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm really glad you got some help! It's scary dealing with post-partum depression. I was really weepy and sad for several months and thought it might very well be worse than I imagined. For me, once the weather got better, so did I. But I'm glad you found help through your doctor. It's so important that you are able to look back on this time as a good time not as a sad time.

Donita said...

Thank you for posting this. I've been feeling a little off and it seems to be getting worse, not better. I think I'll call my doctor, too. Thank you for being brave and starting this discussion.